Saturday 11 July 2015

Gluten Free Fresh Pasta Recipe

Making homemade pasta is really satisfying..



Every time I make it I feel like I've really achieved something! Before I started my blog, I was always under the impression that it was near impossible to make gluten free fresh pasta at home but it's actually not too difficult.



I've been developing my recipe for a few years now. I add part cornflour which makes it a bit more silky. To be successful at making fresh pasta, you must learn how to correct yourself.

For example, if the dough is too dry and not binding properly, adding some more oil can help. It is also important when kneading and rolling, not to add too much more flour as you will change the consistency of the dough.



You can make fresh lasagne sheets; you don't need to pre-boil it as it will cook when you put the lasagne in the oven. You can even make a batch and freeze the lasagne sheets.

My favourite fresh pasta to make is pappardelle or spinach and ricotta ravioli, simple and delicious. I have some great ravioli moulds that my parents bought in France.

 I don't use a pasta machine as, for some reason, I have never been able to get the hang of it. I quite enjoy rolling it by hand.
 

Pasta dough recipe:
(Serves 3 - 4)

120g (Doves Farm) Plain Gluten Free Flour Blend, plus extra for rolling
100g cornflour
1 level tsp xanthan gum
3 medium eggs
3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra if needed
Polenta or extra flour for dusting
Pinch of salt
(For extra flavour you can add some dried herbs to the mixture)
 
Mix together the flours, xanthan gum and salt on a clean surface.

Create a well in the middle of the flour then crack the eggs into the flour mixture and, with a fork, mix together until it starts to form a dough.

Next add the oil (add extra if needed) and with floured hands roll the mixture into a ball of dough and knead briefly until smooth. Drizzle a bit of the extra oil on the work surface if it is sticking. 

Wrap in cling film and put the dough in the fridge to rest for half an hour.

Dust a clean surface with the extra flour and carefully roll out the dough with a flour dusted rolling pin (or use a pasta machine) until under a millimetre thick (the thinner the better as it will expand slightly when cooking).

Dust a tray with polenta (or extra flour) and cut out your desired pasta shapes placing on the tray as you go so they don't stick together. 

To cook, boil the pasta for about 4-5 minutes.
  

1 comment:

  1. This pasta looks wonderful!
    Does "cornflour" mean cornstarch? I always get confused with the British and American use of the word cornflour LOL

    ReplyDelete