Friday 3 May 2013

Gluten Free Cheese Straws Recipe

I found this recipe on a Doves Farm rice flour packet. I've written it up as I couldn't find it online and several people have asked me for it...

 

I have slightly adapted it to suit me, but if you want to see the original then you can buy some rice flour.

It's a really tasty and easy recipe, great for a snack, picnic or when friends come round for tea.

The recipe says to use grated cheese, I have tried it with mozzarella, parmesan, red leicester and cheddar and they all work well and taste great. You can easily double the recipe to make more as it doesn't make a lot.


Recipe:

75g Doves Farm rice flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
25g margarine
50g finely grated cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
1 egg, beaten
Salt & pepper to taste

Mix together the flour, paprika, salt & pepper then work in the margarine (using your hands) until you get a breadcrumb texture. Add the cheese followed by the egg.

Next knead the mixture together to form a dough and leave to rest for 10 minutes.

Now you can either roll out the dough between two pieces of baking paper until about 4mm thick and cut out as desired.

Or you can roll out small pieces between your hands into straw shapes (this is what I prefer to do) and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.

Preheat the oven to 180c then sprinkle extra cheese on top of your straws.

Bake in the oven for 15 - 18 minutes or until cooked through and the cheese on top is bubbling and golden.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment