Wednesday 10 April 2013

Healthy Gluten Free Pizza Ideas

Nothing beats a comforting pizza on a weekend, however we all know that they are not good for our waistlines.

 
Since being on a healthier diet from the start of the year, I felt deprived of my favourite food. Pizza.

I started thinking about alternative ways to make pizzas. Lower in fat & healthier ways. After much research and recipe developing, I have compiled a list of my favourites (below).

Of course one of the main calorie issues is the cheese so always consider going cheeseless or using half the amount you would usually use. I tried using half the amount and couldn't even tell the difference!

If you do use cheese then use one of the more healthier options and only use a small amount:
  • Feta
  • Goats cheese
  • Ricotta
  • Cottage cheese
  • Reduced fat mozzarella 
 
Pitta Pizzas

This is such a simple and easy way to make a pizza. Just top one gluten free pitta bread with your favourite toppings and put under the grill.




Sweet Potato Base

My favourite of all these pizzas, makes a fabulous tasty and firm base. See my recipe here.
 
 
 
Cauliflower Base

Surprisingly this superfood makes a delicious pizza base. Topped with tomato sauce and vegetables, makes for the ultimate low fat pizza. See my recipe here.
 


Polenta Mini Pizzas
 
 Slightly harder to handle, but worth the effort - recipe here.



Spinach Pizza Base

A slightly strange alternative to your regular pizza base, but once you get your head around eating a green pizza, it is totally delicious and packed with iron. You can see the recipe here.

 
 
Broccoli Pizza Base
 
Another green pizza base, this broccoli one has a great texture and is packed full of goodness.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment